Saturday, April 12, 2014

What's on the reading pile?

I had nice stroll up to my public library today. The ability to read books from across the world for free (almost always) is pretty fucking amazing. Additionally, I have had the great fortune of so many great librarians helping me research my own personal interests, for school and for work. I grew up in near a town without a public library beyond the school, so college was the first revelation to me of what an amazing public service these places are for our communities.

Anyways, rather than raving to the internet void about my love of libraries, I thought I would share what is on my reading pile, today, courtesy of my local library.

1) "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal," by Christopher Moore

This irreverent novel gives a glimpse into the earlier years of life of Jesus through his often sinning best friend, Biff. I'm about two-thirds of my way through this one. I think it's probably funniest to those who had a Christian upbringing and have the context for more of the jokes. I'm reserving judgement until I finish.

2) "Crazy Horse and Custer," by Stephen E. Ambrose

Boy, I have been working on this one for awhile. Despite not being a history lover, I have been enjoying this book, but it also comes with the price of many annoyances if you are much informed about Native American history or culture. I only get through a chapter every couple days, but I think I'm going to stick it out.

3) "East of Eden," by John Steinbeck

Okay, should have called this list "List of books I'm taking forever to read." I started reading "East of Eden" over a year ago, but then I was traveling a lot and I am just now getting back to picking it up. I hated the first Steinbeck novel I read, "The Pearl," but only because the story was sad and I was 16. Now, a couple more novels in, I am in love with the storytelling.

4) "The Meat Racket," by Christopher Leonard

I just picked this one up today. I've been looking forward to reading Leonard's expose on the meat industrial complex in the United States. I'm not looking forward to how dead depressing it is likely going to be, but to have the in depth analysis this book is suppose to provide will be very helpful, I think, for determining my own approach to the problem.

There are, of course, many more books in the pile, but these are the ones I am most actively pursuing currently. What are you reading? Any good suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment