Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My First Voting Box Experience

I've voted since I was eighteen, but I've always done it via absentee ballots. Tennessee only allows absentee voting under a few circumstances, so this year I early voted in person. Aside from being told to smile by a stranger (one of my pet peeves), it was a great experience. Loads of super friendly senior citizens helped me through the process, my phone almost didn't work (which is where I had written down all the candidates I wanted to vote for) and in the end, I got my little shot at democracy.

Even though money continues to roll-over genuine democracy across this county, I am not deterred from voting. I am not deterred from volunteering for the candidates I believe in. Seeing all the people who showed up for just the first day of early voting for a municipal election, it isn't enough, but it is enough to not give up, yet.

So, thank you to all the people who help make democracy possible--poll workers, people willing to run for office ethically and every person who takes the time to make an educated vote. I am going to keep questioning what I can do to be a better citizen, and I hope part of that is going to be encouraging and enabling others to do the same. Here's to democracy--grab on tight and fight like hell against anything that gets in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment