Monday, April 14, 2014

Home Away from Home

In a span of less than four months I will have driven over 3,000 miles. I am developing a certain kind of exhaustion from my peripatetic behavior, but with experience comes skill. I am becoming a well-honed road-tripping person. At the same time, there are always a few new weird firsts.

For example, I am a master of the road trip music mixing. I have my own comfort blend between different musical genres for all points in the journey with a good mixing of public radio thrown in to balance the sound waves out. At the same times, this upcoming journey will be my first where I stay in a hotel room by myself (in America).

I have stayed a number of place on my own before, but always as just a launch pad for exploring the area. Who cares about sleeping in a cold, damp hostel room when you spent the day roaming Venice and eating gelato? (Okay, I cared a little bit. I don't think I was properly dry till I was home for a week afterwards.) It is different, however, just to spend the night somewhere because you know your body is physically incapable of continuing to drive.

I am trying to view this trip as an opportunity to explore my overnight location, but I'll honestly probably want to go lounge in a hot tub curl up under lots o' blankets and sleep a solid nine hours. Sometimes having a home away from home isn't so much of an adventure and more of a necessity. Anyways, I'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Woah. Road trip?

    I should just freaking call you. I'm sorry I'm so bad at staying in touch. I swear I think of you often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, no worries! Such is adult life spread across a big county. I'm driving back to SD, so maybe we can find a way to cross paths while I'm there. I'll be around for like a month or so.

    ReplyDelete