Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tax the Sin Away

Tonight, I watched the first half of the evening local news. Local news can be kind of mixed bag at times. Sometimes I am glad I've watched and feel informed and better enabled to participate with my community. Most of the time, I am little bit annoyed by what passes as news. I should note here that due to my rural local "local news" means a city about 140 miles away from me and that covers most of the state.

A couple of stories caught my eye tonight, but one that I wanted to think about here was of a county commissioners work to increase the state alcohol taxes, as well as pursuing the creation of a county tax. His reasons (at least those he stated) for doing so are certainly admirable: He feel responsible for the deaths caused by drunk driving, and is additionally concerned with the added cost to society incurred by alcohol in the policing and the criminal justice system.

These are important concerns, and I am glad to hear about local desire to change the devastating impact of alcohol abuse. However, I worry about this being an overly simplistic view of how to handle such a problem. This commission spoke of using raised taxes to fund the incurred costs of alcohol abuse on the system, and I suppose there is some belief that a raise in price will affect consumption.

But, alcohol misuse and abuse is not so simple. It is not a cost/benefit analysis every time someone gets drunk.  "Can I afford it?," whether I am consider the upfront sticker cost or the potential legal cost of alcohol consumption and misuse, is only one of many factors in these actions. I can tell you as a college student who not only watched many others misuse alcohol and did it herself that the cost was not in the top slots for my reasons to drink or not to drink.

Why people hurt themselves and others through substance, physical, or psychological is complex. There are some uniting factors, but each case has its own unique complications. I could cite a lot of studies to claim the "real cause of abuses." I would like to posit here just one that I think is very important, though certainly not the only.

A lack of self-worth, beyond that being convinced of your disposable nature in the eyes of others drives a number of behaviors leading to painful and often fatal circumstances. Sometimes we hurt ourselves in an attempt to feel worthy, like throwing up to be acceptably small and inconspicuous in a world always watching you "take up space." Sometimes we hurt others because we hurt so much we don't know how to accept kindness. We may only know how to make more companions through shared misery.

My point is, it's pretty hard to be to concerned with the bare bones numbers when you hate yourself enough and are certain that, at the very best, the rest of the world just sees past you. This hurt, in small and big ways, drives all forms of abuse. Taxes most definitely have a place in the fight to reduce this pain and suffering, but it won't happen because alcohol gets too expensive or because we become more afraid of going to jail. We have to create a society that values all of its members in their unique and common traits. And, we must be a society that can open its hearts to the suffering of its members, not to shame or condemn, but to offer comfort--and with healing, hope.

1 comment: