Thursday, June 13, 2013

Testing the Treadmill

Okay, this blog is actually a test of how well I can type while walking because I am trying to set up a makeshift treadmill desk at my parents' house. At any rate, it is a good excuse to do a bit of life updating here.

First of all: reason for the tread mill desk.
My new job is an online website research, writing, and editing gig. Which, by the way, I love so far. I love being able to travel this summer because I can work from every where, even if it does means that I am working most of the time I am traveling. It still gives me an opportunity to see all my friends before I go to grad school and still be putting some money in the bank.

As much as I love the job, I do not love sitting still for so long. My shoulders get tired as I slump over my laptop screen (bad posture, how do I quit you?). I also just get fidgety. I have a pretty good view out my window, and it can be nice in my room when the breeze is blowing, but it isn't really a great feeling to get up after siting at your desk for five hours straight.

Hence, treadmill desk. Currently I just have a wood plank laying across the plastic arms that stick out on my mom's treadmill, and it's working okay. I hope that I can at least do this a little bit each day so that I still get to stretch my legs outside of running.

Second news item: grad school!
Many hiccups have joined my foray into grad school life, but I think I got most of them ironed out this week. In the plus column, I have a place to live and a roommate that I am pretty psyched to meet. In the negative, I have to go to Chicago to do my residence permit application so that they can take my biometrics. What a hassle! Fortunately, I am already going to the Twin Cities in July for about five days, so I am going to swing down for a day during that and save myself a completely random trip to Chicago.

Otherwise, I have that great kind of nervous excitement about starting classes again, meeting new professors, and all the upcoming discussions for the next two years. It is one of those things where I willingly put myself into a stressful and, at times, trying environment, but I remain so thrilled with all the possibilities of what there is to come to know and know that I don't know. 

All my other life news is a bit more fragmented, but I'll write about it as things come up over the summer. Until then--

No comments:

Post a Comment